Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Not A Fan

Are you a fan? Or a follower? We are studying the "not a fan" series in Sunday school right now. It's based on the book by Kyle Idleman. The series has really made me think about my life. Am I a fan of Jesus? Or am I a follower?

In the Gospels, Jesus wasn't looking for mere fans. He said, "Follow me." Twenty times in the New Testament, Jesus gave this compelling challenge: "Follow me." Jesus expected His disciples to leave everything behind, to deny themselves, and to be devoted totally to Him. He expects the same from us!

I've been in church all my life. I read my Bible. I know a lot about Jesus, but I haven't always been totally committed to Him. I'll be honest, I'd held onto things from the past. I hadn't surrendered every part of my life. I had certain habits and hang-ups that I tried to hide. Yes, I loved Jesus. I was a fan of Jesus. But I wasn't a true follower.

Jesus said, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it."

The "not a fan" series is showing me what it takes to deny one's self and truly follow Jesus. It takes a commitment to dying to self daily. Kyle Idleman made this statement: "It's not enough to 'try' every day; we must 'die' every day."

The Bible makes it clear, "anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me."

Jesus is NOT looking for fans… He’s looking for followers. This series teaches that true followers must understand that:
There is no forgiveness without repentance.
There is no salvation without surrender.
There is no life without death.
There is no believing without following.
We try to put on appearances, but appearances don't impress God. He looks inside our hearts and knows if we are fans or followers. And if we make the commitment to follow Jesus with all our heart, the reward is great! We'll spend eternity with Him in heaven.

That's why I say, "I'm not a fan of Jesus. I'm a follower!"

No comments:

Post a Comment